Book Ahead for Scrumpdillyicious Deals in Scottsdale
By Chris Duthie
With the surprisingly early opening of Arapahoe Basin Ski Area, it’s becoming increasingly evident that Colorado’s 2017 golf season is on borrowed time. Sure, we can all hope for a bit more frost-free weather in the coming weeks, but the stage is set: Time to plan a down-south retreat to scrumpdillyicious Scottsdale.
Now, I know what you’re thinking — winter is high season in Scottsdale, and that means high prices — which is basically true.
However, many travelers don’t know that in January there’s a special, more affordable time to play Scottsdale’s 51 golf courses and the more than 200 additional layouts in the region, as well as bask in some of the more decorated, luxurious and chic resorts in America.
Here’s the deal: From Jan. 8-14, bargain-hunting golfers can luxuriate in ideal weather, perfect conditioning and affordable stay-and-play packages during the second annual Scottsdale Golf Week. For example:
1) A specially priced Troon Golf Vacation includes one round each at Troon North (Pinnacle Course), Westin Kierland Golf Club, The Boulders (North Course) and SunRidge Canyon, plus three nights at the Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains, for $363 per night per person, double occupancy.
2) At the 27-hole Starfire Golf Club, $55 pays for 18 holes of Arnold Palmer-designed golf, cart and your choice of breakfast or lunch.
3) The Scott Miller-designed Eagle Mountain Golf Club in nearby Fountain Hills is offering an 18-hole package that includes cart, breakfast or lunch, and two beverages for $119 Monday-Thursday or $129 Friday-Sunday.
4) Tee times are being discounted 30 percent at 36-hole Camelback Golf Club (pictured atop), crafted by Michael Hurdzan/Dana Fry and Arthur Hills.
5) Enjoy a 15-percent discount off best-available rates at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa.
6) Play for 25-percent less at top-ranked Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club, a Lee Schmidt/Brian Curley/Fred Couples design collaboration.
7) At Boccieri Golf, earn a 25-percent discount by booking a one-hour lesson on the esteemed Robo Swing Trainer.
8) MacDonald’s Ranch is offering a buy-one, get-one deal on a one-hour group horseback ride into the Sonoran Desert.
9) Receive a complimentary appetizer with an entrée purchase at Ruth’s Chris Steak House.
10) Receive an 11-percent total bill discount at We Do Men, a Scottsdale spa that caters exclusively to guys.
Many of these offers must be booked in advance. A detailed calendar of activities, packages and opportunities can be viewed online at ScottsdaleGolfWeek.com. To learn more about this celebrated golf destination, go online to ExperienceScottsdale.com.
Don’t forget: The PGA Tour’s Waste Management Phoenix Open is scheduled Jan. 29-Feb. 4 at the TPC Scottsdale.
Chris Duthie is a Durango-based contributor to Colorado AvidGolfer. Colorado AvidGolfer is the state’s leading resource for golf and the lifestyle that surrounds it, publishing eight issues annually and proudly delivering daily content via coloradoavidgolfer.com.