Wynn Las Vegas’ Top CAGGY Prize No Fluke
Colorado Avid Golfer just announced that the Wynn Las Vegas was voted Best Las Vegas Experience by its readers, earning a well-deserved 2014 CAGGY Award and bragging rights as one of America’s more valued vacation destinations.
What makes the Wynn such an amazing experience? Let us count the ways:
1. You don’t have to leave The Strip to experience this Pinehurst-esque, 7,042-yard par-70 oasis co-designed by Tom Fazio and Steve Wynn that commands a $500 green fee. Reservations available up to 90 days in advance for Wynn and Encore guests and 30 days in advance for non-hotel guests.
2. After being escorted to a handcrafted Koto wood locker, you discover your golf shoes freshly cleaned and buffed (both before and after the round), a personally engraved bag tag and a plush terry-cloth towel for a post-round refresh amid lavish, black Michelangelo marble. You can also borrow Footjoys and premium Callaway clubs at no additional charge.
3. The pro shop offers more than a dozen premium cigar brands stocked in a temperature-controlled, walk-in humidor. Fashionistas prize the shop’s showcase eyewear, collectibles and sportswear.
4. Wynn’s perfectly manicured, championship-caliber experience was sculpted from bleak, pancake-flat desert. After moving more than 800,000 cubic yards of earth, the course was accented with 7,000 trees and 100,000 shrubs, and half the holes are guarded with water tapped from natural springs.
5. Caddies are impeccably uniformed and possess unsurpassed local knowledge like yardage, green shapes and speeds, and how many tree varieties are on property. Caddies are included in the trail fee, plus a suggested $50 gratuity.
6. Test your playing partner’s mettle by betting on a shopping spree at the Penske Wynn Ferrari Maserati dealership. Located inside the hotel, wide-eyed tourists drool over vehicles and eagerly buy pricey Ferrari collectibles and memorabilia.
7. Hundreds of Afghan pine trees disguise and mask Downtown Las Vegas, but iconic Vegas target lines are visible from most fairways: “Keep it left of the Stratsophere… if you hit it right of the Turnberry Towers you’re dead meat.”
8. Where else can you chili-dip a $1,000 divot? Do the math: The 139-acre golf course has a development value estimated as high as $30 million per acre. You don’t want to replace that grass rug so much as bronze it for your mantle.
9. The cart path tunnel under the Wynn’s 18th green waterfall is 37 feet of recycled natural groundwater. Armed with a set of clubs and a few swing thoughts, Captain Nemo would feel right at home.
10. Wynn’s 19th-hole Country Club restaurant offers char-grilled Kobe beef, lamb chops, lobster, halibut, tuna and Chef Carlos’ signature gumbo soup. Ask for outside deck seating to enjoy an after-dark illumination of the 18th green and waterfall.
www.wynnlasvegas.com or 888-320-WYNN.
Chris Duthie is a contributor to Colorado AvidGolfer, the state’s leading resource for golf and the lifestyle that surrounds it. It publishes eight issues annually and proudly delivers daily content via www.coloradoavidgolfer.com.