Featuring more than 40 courses, golfers of every imaginable skill level visit Tucson for an unforgettable getaway…
Pro golfers and PGA TOUR events have been coming to Tucson since 1945—a rich tradition that continues March 1-3 at the Tucson Cologuard Classic, a PGA Tour Champions event at Omni Tucson National’s Catalina Course, the longtime home of the Tucson Open. Phil Mickelson won a Tucson Open held at Starr Pass Golf Club; The Gallery Golf Club in Marana hosted the WGC Match Play in 2007 and ’08; and PGA Tour veteran Notah Begay co-designed Sewailo Golf Club in 2013. But you don’t always have to follow in the pros’ footsteps. Twenty-seven of El Conquistador Golf’s 45 holes are perfect for families. So are the 18s at Crooked Tree and the City of Tucson’s five outstanding municipal layouts: Fred Enke, Dell Ulrich, Randolph, Silverbell and El Rio.
Check it All Out
- In addition to the Tour-worthy Catalina Course, the Omni Tucson National boasts the somewhat gentler Tom Lehman-designed Sonoran Course. Both take in the beauty of the Catalina Mountains. tucsonnational.com
- The Troon Golf-managed Cañada Course at Oro Valley’s El Conquistador Golf & Tennis provides fun for all, as does its spunky Pusch X9 executive course. elcongolfandtennis.com
- Part of the stunning tribally owned Casino Del Sol Resort, Spa and Conference Center, the Ty Butler/Notah Begay-designed Sewailo Golf Club boasts 40,000 native plants, 14 acres of lakes and five sets of tees. sewailogolf.com
- Roadrunner, Rattler and Coyote comprise the Arnold Palmer-designed nines at Starr Pass Golf Club at the J.W. Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. After 3 p.m. adult-accompanied kids 15 and under play free. starrpassgolfclub.com
- You’ll enjoy Tubac Golf Resort & Spa’s 27 golf holes even more with one of the masterful massages, body treatments (including acupuncture) and skin care provided by its expert spa staff. tubacresort.com
- Ventana Canyon Golf Club spotlights Tom Fazio’s Mountain and Canyon courses. Canyon’s Whaleback Rock appears on hole 10; to see the Mountain’s third, flip the page. loewshotels.com/ventana-canyon
- The 3.9-mile Sun Link Tucson Streetcar route rolls through the heart of Tucson. Check out the hip restaurants, bars and shops of 4th Avenue, Downtown Tucson and the Mercado San Agustín. visittucson.org
Something to Chew On
Three years ago, Tucson became the first UNESCO Creative City in the United States selected for Gastronomy. The Old Pueblo sizzles with authentic restaurants serving carne asada, ceviche, empanadas, raspados, elote and the ubiquitous Sonoran hotdog—a frank wrapped in bacon and grilled, served on a boule-style bun, and topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes and condiments such as mayonnaise, mustard and jalapeños. For more upscale cardiologist-friendly fare, head to The Grill at Hacienda del Sol (haciendadelsol.com) or a golf resort restaurant: Epazote Kitchen (Hilton El Conquistador); AZul (Westin La Paloma); Primo (JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass); or the Flying V Bar & Grill (Loews Ventana). visittucson.org
Colorado AvidGolfer is the state’s leading resource for golf and the lifestyle that surrounds it, publishing eight issues annually and proudly delivering daily content via coloradoavidgolfer.com. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.