7 Special Events to Make Your Golf Trip Even Better
Despite its countless saguaro cacti and other things spiny, Arizona is a state worth embracing. That’s especially true in autumn when Sonoran Desert temperatures drop to savory levels and the state’s endless blue skies beckon with golf trip enhancing events and celebrations.
Even better, those scrapbook memories are but a few hours’ flight or a day’s drive away. If you hope to extend your summer just a little longer, think like a snowbird and head south to the Grand Canyon State. And while there, take in a few of these upcoming special events:
1. Get into the Halloween spirit by attending Nightfall at Old Tucson, when historic Old Tucson transforms itself into the haunted township Nightfall with hideous beasts and monsters, ghoulish stunts, and frightening new shows. Through Oct. 31; Thursday through Sunday. nightfallaz.com or oldtucson.com
2. Professional athletes featuring promising rookies from Major League Baseball will compete in the six-team Arizona Fall League. Through Nov. 15 at various metro Phoenix locations; 6:35 p.m. mlbfallball.com
3. Rustle up the family and attend the 130th Annual Arizona State Fair, an iconic celebration of food, rides, exhibitions, motorized events, rodeo and live concerts, including performances by Barenaked Ladies, Weezer, Queens of the Stone Age, John Fogerty, Justin Moore, Darius Rucker and Josh Turner. In Phoenix through Oct. 31; Tuesday-Sunday. azstatefair.com
4. At the 12th Annual Arizona Wild West Days in Cave Creek, guests experience mutton bustin’, costume competition, period vendors, encampments, live entertainment, gunfighters, cowboy poets, bath tub race, thieves market, parade, rodeo, pig races, kid’s activities, culinary offerings, chili cook-off and western market. Oct. 29-Nov. 2. www.cavecreekchamber.org
5. Come see the legends of golf compete at the 23rd Annual Charles Schwab Cup Championship, hosted by Desert Mountain in Scottsdale. The Champion Tour’s season-ending event features the 30 top golfers on the tour’s official money list. Oct. 30-Nov. 2. schwabcup.com
6. Practice your brogue and dust off your kilt for the 28th Annual Tucson Celtic Festival and Scottish Highland Games in Tucson, featuring, traditional apparel, bagpipe bands, cultural music, dancing, food, athletic competitions, clan tents, vendors and military re-creations. Oct. 31-Nov. 2. tucsoncelticfestival.org
Photo credit: © Chris Duthie
7. At the 38th Annual Rock-A-Rama Gem & Mineral Show in Black Canyon City, rock hounds converge for this popular, family friendly event comprising vendors, dealers, minerals, gem stones, jewelry, fossils, crystals, tools, equipment, books, lapidary supplies, gold panning, beading, stone carving, door prizes and more. Oct. 31-Nov. 2. highdeserthelpers.org
Chris Duthie is a contributor to Colorado AvidGolfer, the state’s leading resource for golf and the lifestyle that surrounds it. It publishes eight issues annually and proudly delivers daily content via www.coloradoavidgolfer.com.