It’s no secret Mesquite is among my most-favored winter vacation destinations. From October through May, southeast Nevada’s oasis-like climate is absolutely sumptuous, and the region’s ethereal landscapes make for some of the most challenging and visually stunning golf courses imaginable.
Located 670 miles southwest of Denver and 80 miles north of Las Vegas, the high desert locale is equally celebrated for its casino gaming, first-class accommodations, popular events and Nikon-prompting outings. Here are five ways to fall for Mesquite:
- Premier golf leads the list, including stalwarts like the Dennis and John Rider-designed Wolf Creek Golf Club, ranked the 41st best public course in America by Golf Digest. Other must-plays include Troon Golf-managed Conestoga (Gary Panks), 36-hole Oasis Golf Club (Arnold Palmer) and Falcon Ridge Golf Course (Kelby Hughes/Cresent Hardy), Coyote Springs (Jack Nicklaus) and 27-hole Sand Hollow Resort (John Fought) in nearby Hurricane, Utah.
- Crank up your Mesquite vacation at the recently remodeled, CasaBlanca Hotel & Casino. In addition to fine and casual dining, spa, gaming and Cal Olsen-crafted golf, the 500-room property will headline various live tribute performances.
- Also centrally located, Eureka Casino Resort pampers travelers with gorgeously appointed suites, casual dining, high-stakes gaming and appealing stay-and-play golf packages. Insider’s tip: Ask about Eureka’s free Paramobile vehicle amenity, which enables wheelchair-bound players to stand, golf and participate in other sporting activities.
- Mother Nature conferred this region with eye-popping splendor, as evinced by the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Lehman Caves at Great Basin National Park, Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, Bryce Canyon National Park and Zion National Park.
- Later this season car enthusiasts will revel at the 700-vehicle Mesquite Motor Mania 2017 (Jan. 13-15, 2017). And if you love heavenly sights, plan to attend the annual Mesquite Hot Air Balloon Festival for chase races, evening glows, culinary opportunities and live entertainment (Jan. 20-22, 2017).
Chris Duthie is a Durango-based contributor to Colorado AvidGolfer. Colorado AvidGolfer is the state’s leading resource for golf and the lifestyle that surrounds it, publishing eight issues annually and proudly delivering daily content via coloradoavidgolfer.com. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.